Article by Michelle Stern owner of What’s Cooking – Cooking classes and gifts for children
I am so lucky – I get to play with food, and get paid for it! This morning, I did a birthday party for a 6-year old and 9 of her friends. We created some delicious Thai Veggie Spring Rolls for lunch, along with some udon noodles, edamame and slices of watermelon.
Fresh Thai-Style Spring Rolls
1-2 cups soaked bean thread noodles
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
Sliced Thai smoked tofu OR Crab
1 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 teaspoons miso paste
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 shredded carrot
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
small bunch sweet basil, shredded
8 rice paper sheets
Sweet chili dipping sauce
- Soak rice noodles in boiling water until soft. Drain well and chop into short lengths.
- Mix noodles with garlic, miso paste, lime juice and rice vinegar.
- Dip a sheet of rice paper in warm water and lay on a flat surface until it softens.
- Fill spring roll in this order: slices of smoked tofu or pinches of crab, bean sprouts, carrot shreds, basil shreds, and a small hand full of bean thread noodles.
- Gently wrap rice paper burrito style, enclosing the filling firmly, place on plate with the seam underneath.
- If you prefer, slice each roll in half and serve with sweet chili dipping sauce. ENJOY!
Call the Kids:
- Use a garlic press go smash the garlic, then add to the bean thread noodles
- Measure and add miso paste and rice wine vinegar to the bean thread noodles
- Juice lime
- Grate carrots with a rotary cheese grater
- Tear basil leaves into small pieces
- Soak rice paper in warm water to soften
- Fill softened rice paper with fillings of their choice – then roll
The next time you have some kids over to play, think about playing with your food! There is something magical about kids who work together, taste new foods, and learn life skills all at the same time. Give it a try!
What’s Cooking is a Certified Green business that offers healthy and seasonal cooking classes and birthday parties to children of all ages in the San Francisco Bay Area. In their online shop you’ll find unique sustainable gifts and party favors. For more fun ideas on cooking with kids and party favors for a Cooking birthday party theme visit www.whatscooking.info or their blog at www.whatscookingblog.com.